Thursday, August 13, 2009

Q&A

I noticed a trend, I have been getting the same questions over and over from the people I interact with on photo-shoots and from people who inquire about my shoots.
SO I thought that this blog would give me the opportunity to answer those constant questions for every one!

so here we go my Q&A:

Q: Are you really 21?
A: YES! lol In an industry where it is more common to find a photographer who is 30+ there are always younger talented photographers out there! ;-)
Its just that its harder for a young photographer to get the equipment and Cash they need to gain enough exposure to get noticed.

Q: How often do you update your website?
A: About every 3 months

Q: Where can I see more of your work?
A: My website: www.HugoCastillo.com
...and here on my BLOG!

Q: How long have you been doing photo-shoots?
A: I have been shooting "professionally" for about 2 years (almost), But I have had a camera in my hand ever since I could hold one.
(I have proof....Ima go look for that baby photo!)

Q: Did you study to become a Digital Fashion photographer?
A: Surprisingly No! ..... Honestly I just picked it up, (the camera lol) I literally taught my self by looking at other photographers work, and checking out there "behind the scene" videos! This is totally and trully my PASSION I wanted to LEARN! (and still am learning)
I also taught myself how to photoshop my photos! (that was hard lol)

Q: Why fashion photography?
A: I dont know how to describe it..... But I remember I came across a website one day called JGKinc.net (its gone now) but It was a photography agency. I saw that site with a bunch of GREAT photographer and there photos....and said "WOW" I loved the angles, the models, the beauty/drama, the hair, makeup, wardrobe and the lighting and the sets! :-)
The more I looked the more I fell in love with the idea of being able to create and capture a fantasy!

Q: Do you only shoot fashion photography?
A: Nope! Thats my "speacialty" per-say but I also dabble in many other types of photography....

Q: What photographers inspire you?
A: WOW there are so many! lol I actually have on my computer an "Insperation" TAB and when I click on it a long list of about 200 photographers that I love and inspire me appear!
But SOME of my absolute favorites at the moment are:
•Markus Klinko & Indrani
•Alix Malka
•Mario Testino
•Chen Man
•Yu Tsai
•Greg Kadel
•Solve Sundsbo
Check them out and you will see why they inspire me!

Q: What is the Job of a fashion photographer?
A: To Sell a Dream! ..... A fashion Photographer is a Commercial artist the idea is to sell clothes. Tempt the public with beauty, excitement and Dreams. You MUST KNOW about lighting, hair, make-up, wardrobe, marketing and fashion! (or at least pretend to know..... just kiding lol)

Q: What are your goals with photography? Is this just a hobbie?
A: This is my passion and career! At least thats how I have been looking at it....I took time off from college to peruse this crazy dream of mine. (as my family sometime says) But My Obvious goals are to be successful, to be recognized and sought after! I want to work with every Great Model, clothing line, agency, and magazine there is! I also want to be able to give back and help the many dreamers of tomorrow. I want to do this Forever, and even if I never achieve any of that....this is always going to be my addiction!

Q: What Model, Magazine, and clothing line would you love to work with?
A: There are soo many! I would be honored to work with any one who would give me the opportunity! But SOME of my dream photoshoots would be:
Model: Adriana Lima, Tyra Banks, Adrianne Curry, Eva Pigford, theres soo many more! :-)
Magazine: Zink magazine, V magazine, Muse, GQ, Sports illustrated (swimsuit), Vogue........
Clothing Line: Dolce & Gabbana, Rock & Republic, Victoria Secret, Versace, Dior, Gucci, Zara, Converse......

Q: Do you only take photos of women and professional models?
A: No I shoot any one and every one willing to stand in front of my lens!

Q: Do you have a Studio and can you shoot out on location as well?
A: Yes, I have a humble studio with ample space, lights, different backgrounds, TV's and make-up and hair stations. And I can also shoot outside with lights and without the need of an outlet, so any where is possible!

Q: How long does it take you to edit photos? Do you have any Before and Afters?
A: I can hand in photos at your request (if you have a deadline or something) But it usually takes my about 1-2 weeks for about 10 photos, sometimes less it depends on my work load and the amount of elaborateness and detail needed! (I never like photos to look photoshoped!) And yes I do have printed before and afters I can show you in person, I dont ever post them online or hand them out because of client privacy!

Q: What exactly do you do on a photoshoot?
A: Well it all depends on what exactly you want...but typically we start the day with Make-up, Hair and wardrobe. Then we either move to my studio or go out to our outdoor location. We start shooting and that usually takes between 3-5 hours depending on your experience and having to move form location to location or setting up a scene. We shoot till we get the shots your happiest with and then we go over the photos, and end the day! It all usually takes about 6-8 hours. (But time flies by, you usually never feel it during a photo shoot)

Q: When will I be able to see my photos?
A: You can actually see the photos we take as we shoot them on a screen in my studio or on my laptop screen if we are outside! Then you get to go over each one in detail after the shoot.

Q: Do you save the photos I dont choose? (incase I want more later on)
A: Yes I save all my photoshoots, Just in case!

Q: Do you know any Make-up, Wardrobe, & Hair stylists for photoshoots?
A: Of course! I know a lot of talented people whom I have had the pleasure of working with.....And can always help you find the rite people for the type of photo-shoot your interested and thinking about!
And if you happen to be a MAU, Hair, or wardrobe stylist, and like my work send me an email I always love working with new people!

Q: What makes you different from any other photographer?
A: Im young and fresh I dont try and be superior to the people I work with and treat every one like an old friend, Im not in it for the Money! I like helping out the people who work with me in any possible way I can. I have the ability to not only to organize and set up a shoot but to direct and touch up the photos I take. I personally love to take edgy and creative photos, with a sort of fantasy and glam feeling to them.....But I can shoot anything! I never just hand you a CD with raw boring photos I try to make the photo the best they can possible be from beginning to end! I give you photos of yourself as you imagine yourself to be at that moment. (beautiful and one of a Kind!)

Q: Do you travel? Do you only shoot in Connecticut and NY?
A: I am always available for travel if needed! I shoot mostly in Connecticut and NY but I also travel often to Mexico (Puebla & Mexico City) to shoot there as well! Oh Canada Too! But like I said Im available and ready to fly any where im needed! ;-)

Q: What are your rates?
A: Send me an E-mail and I will send you my rates!
info@hugocastillo.com

Well I hope these Q&A's Helped!
And If I missed a question Im sure you wont hesitate in asking me, and I guess Ill just keep adding any other questions I might get later on!
Thanks!